Simple Ways to Prevent Motor Vehicle Theft
A total of 721,053 cases of motor vehicle thefts were reported throughout the United States in 2012 resulting in more than $4.3 billion in losses, as per data published by the FBI. That is quite an alarming number and if you go deeper into those statistics you will realize that no state in the country is immune to this menace of vehicle theft.
How to Prevent Auto Theft
- Install Garage Doors – You must consider a garage door installation for your home or if you already have one but is in bad need of a repair, opt for repair services without fail. One reliable garage door repair & installation service for residents of Lake Zurich & Lake in the Hills is J&J Garage Door and Electric Openers. Their years of experience in repairing and installation of all kinds of residential & commercial garage doors will come in quite handy in improving the security of your home and preventing such instances of theft.
- Always Lock Your Vehicle – Residents of Dundee, Algonquin, Barrington, Elgin & Cary, Crystal & McHenry are equally vulnerable to these growing incidents of thefts and must therefore not just install garage door and openers but also keep their vehicles locked at all times. Even if you are parking your vehicle for a very short duration at an outside location, as a safe practice you must always lock it.
- Never Leave Valuables Inside the Car – Always remember that leaving any valuable item such as a laptop or a mobile phone inside the vehicle will only end up attracting a thief. Even if you have to do so for some reason then try concealing it under the seats or in the trunk.
- Get Anti-Theft Devices Installed – Audible sirens and other anti-theft gadgets act as a good deterrence as many thieves tend to avoid such vehicles because of the efforts involved.
- GPS Tracking – Installation of a GPS tracking device will come in handy for the law enforcement officers to track the location of the vehicle in the event it gets stolen.
- VIN Etching – As a precautionary step, etch the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the glass of each window in your vehicle. This relatively simple practice is known to deter vehicle thieves from stealing your car as they don’t want to incur expenses on account of replacing these glass windows.
- Park in Well-Lit Areas – Avoid parking your vehicle in dark and isolated areas even if it is for a short duration. Even if you have to for some reason, use a spot which you believe is under CCTV surveillance.
- Avoid Leaving the Ownership Documents in the Vehicle – Leaving registration papers and other important documents inside the vehicle is not a great idea at all. For instance, if a vehicle thief is pulled over by a cop he can produce the registration documents and escape from the situation.
Do take these important steps to prevent your vehicle from being an easy target. Many a times we don’t focus on these small things, like getting the repair work carried out for residential and commercial garage doors, and end up losing our vehicle to these thieves who are always looking for such vulnerabilities to exploit.